1. In response to someone who has said/pointed out something very obvious
2. In response to someone who has insulted you or has aggressively disagreed with you
3. In response to a boring, nerdy comment you don't understand or care about (i.e. a peice of trivia)
4. In response to a comment that seems hard to believe or a lie
Occasionally some will respond to an "O rly?" comment with "ya rly" or "rly", but this is lame and not recommended.
B: O rly?
2. A: You're a fucking loser, A Cinderella Story was a shitty movie.
B: O rly.
3. A: Yes, but did you all know that the word "catapult" is of Hungarian and French origin and roughly translates to blah blah blah......
B: o rly?
4. A: My aunt is friends with Lindsay Lohan's agent's sister, and she's said that Lindz is totally not a cokehead, so stfu.
B: O RLY?
Should be proceeded/answered with "Yarly", yeah really.
Orly owls on ytmnd.com would be good to familiarize yourself with.
Orly owl used ORLY? attack!
Orly owl 2 used YARLY! attack! It's super effective!
Orly owl fainted!
Orly owl 2 gained 1337 exp.
Owl: o rly?
The response is not due to inherent lameness but rather through necessity. Many believe in the exist of other owls, especially the Proper Owl, but scientists have continued to discount all evidence.
Unflappable Owl: Ya rly!